Wheel locks are lug nuts redesigned for tires containing theft-deterring sockets. Their function is similar to lug nuts, except a wheel lock key is needed to remove the locks. Since wheel locks prevent wheel theft, it is advised to employ them if you don’t have wheel locks. Continue reading the article below if you need to remove the wheel locks from your wheels.
Short on Time – Here’s a Quick Summary!
People often need clarification when they have to remove wheel locks. But to your wonder, while removing the wheel locks does take a bit of effort and time, it is easy to do. First, you can take off the wheel locks using its key. However, if you have lost the key, you can purchase a wheel lock removal kit or a universal socket, letting you remove locks conveniently.
What Would You Need to Remove Wheel Locks?
Before we head toward the ways to take off wheel locks, let’s discuss why you need to remove wheel locks.
Note: This article is intended to consider for legitimate usage. Thieves would not read articles or blogs to get information since they already know these methods.
You may need to remove wheel locks when you want to change your wheels more often. For instance, I live in an area where I have to swap between summer and winter wheels twice a year, every year.
I removed my wheel locks to avoid this frustrating activity of removing and putting back wheel locks when changing wheels.
Ways to Take Off Wheel Locks
The simple way to remove the wheel locks is to use the wheel lock key. Since the key is made of a softer material than the bolts, it usually wears over time. If your car is a bit old, and you or the technician have been changing wheels for quite some time, your key might get stripped.
Here, we will discuss the ways to remove wheel locks with and without a key.
Method 1: Using the Wheel Lock Key
Using the wheel lock key is one of the simplest methods to remove the wheel locks from the wheels to replace them.
To do this, follow these steps.
- First, clean the wheel lock to remove any debris or grease from it so you can easily use the key.
- Insert the wheel lock key into the lock.
- Hold the key firmly in place and turn the bolt.
- Once the bolt is unlocked, it will stop moving. Remove the key and take a lug wrench to remove the locks further.
- Mount the lug wrench onto the wheel bolt’s end and start turning it carefully to loosen the bolts.
- Continue rotating the wrench until the bolts get loose and come out.
A wheel lock key will let you remove the locks conveniently.
Method 2: Using the Wheel Lock Removal Kit
Worry not if you have lost your key or it has been stripped over time. This method will let you take off wheel locks without putting much effort. All you need is a wheel lock removal kit, also known as a locking lug nut removal tool.
The steps to remove wheel locks using the wheel lock removal kit includes the following.
- Get a lug nut removal kit of the right size so that the wheel locks fit into it completely.
- Fit the socket onto the lug nuts tight enough to help remove the locks.
- Turn the removal tool to fix the locks.
- Continue turning the removal tool until the bolt is loose.
This is one of the finest methods I have used to take off wheel locks without the wheel lock keys.
Method 3: Using the Universal Socket
You can also use a universal socket to remove the wheel bolts. A universal socket is designed in a way that it can fit any nut or bolt.
Follow these steps.
- Get a universal socket from the market and try to fit the wheel lock.
- Once the wheel lock fits in the universal socket, turn the socket using a wrench into the bolt that gets loosened.
- After the wheel locks are loosened, you can take them out and get the universal socket out.
Method 4: Using the Right Size 12-Point Socket
This method is similar to using a universal socket. However, if the universal socket doesn’t fit your wheel locks, you can use a 12-point socket of the right size to remove the wheel locks. The steps include.
- Buy a 12-point socket of the right size from the market that fits completely into the lug nuts.
- After that, rotate the socket using a wrench.
- Keep rotating until the wheel lock gets loosened.
- Remove it when completed.
Method 5: 2 Flat Spots & a Wrench
While this method might take a bit of effort, it works if you try it. However, take proper safety measures before you try any such method at home.
You will need a mini grinder, a heavy open-end wrench, and a mallet to follow this method.
- Take a grinder and grind two flat spots on the wheel lock so a wrench can come over it.
- Once you have made two flats, fit a wide-open wrench over the bolts and add leverage to turn it.
- Add enough torque to the wrench and undo the bolt.
Method 6: Weld a Nut on the wheel lock
Lastly, we have this method where you weld a nut on the wheel lock to remove it.
Proper safety precautions are advised when you weld a nut. Never forget to wear glasses and safety gloves before you weld anything.
The steps include.
- Take a nut and a welding machine and weld the nut onto the wheel lock.
- Once you have welded the nut, take a nut driver.
- Turn the nut using the nut driver, and the wheel lock will come out.
The table below shows the methods to remove wheel locks at a glance.