Consider motor oil as cheap insurance for your vehicle. Oil protects engine parts and reduces friction between them—the less resistance in an engine’s components, the more power it provides and accelerates fuel economy. But what makes an engine oil better than the rest? Let’s explore this article.
Short on Time – Here’s a Quick Summary
From more than 30 brands, we have selected the 10 best motor oil brands based on our research and international oil standards – 1.Valvoline 2.Mobil 3.Castrol 4.Shell 5.Royal Purple 6.Liqui Moly 7.Comma oil 8.Petronas 9.Pennzoil 10.Ravenol.
How to Choose the Best Engine Oil for Your Vehicle?
While choosing high-quality motor oil is essential, it is sometimes challenging for uninformed automotive drivers to select the best oil for their vehicles. As a result, drivers often fall prey to brands presenting lucrative offers and claiming high quality at a lower price.
Consider the following things when choosing motor oil for your vehicle.
Vehicle Manufacturer & Series:
The first thing you should consider while choosing an engine oil for your vehicle is its make and model. Today, vehicles contain high-performance engines that improve efficiency and require engine oils with newer formulations to keep up with these upgrades. So, choose your motor oil according to your vehicle manufacturer and series.
While buying motor oil, look at its label. It consists of names of different oil standards followed by motor oil manufacturers. If your desired motor oil is certified with those standards, it meets the industry requirements. European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) and American Petroleum Institute (API) are the most popular oil standards.
Oil standards, including API and ACEA, offer different certifications for engine oil. These certifications guarantee the quality of engine oil and protection against wear. API Donut and API Starburst are two of the most authentic certifications that certify that the engine oil has these symbols that meet all the current oil standards and the International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) standards.
The viscosity grade measures the oil’s resistance to flow. It indicates the quality of the oil. The well-suited the viscosity index of the oil to the vehicle, the better it is considered.
Best Motor Oil Brands
High-performance and certified motor oils can help enhance your engine performance and prevent possible issues. In addition, a regular oil change ensures cost savings, as engine problems are among the most expensive car repairs.
We have reviewed the top 10 motor oil brands and their top products to help you choose the best oil. Go through the following list to know more.
Being one of the prominent commercial motor oil brands, Valvoline has been providing leading products since 1866. Its products contain various viscosity grades, including SAE 40, 30, 10W-30, etc. Moreover, Valvoline offers the best 5W-30 oils for high mileage. Some of its best products include.
- Extended Protection Full Synthetic: Valvoline Extended Protection provides extra longevity to your engine performance and protects against engine breakdown. It gives 50% greater wear protection.
- Advanced Full Synthetic: Advanced Full Synthetic motor oil provides advanced protection to today’s sophisticated engines. It resists oil breakdown and protects 40 percent against engine wear.
It must be noted that all Valvoline products are approved by industry oil standards.
Mobil is famous for its top-quality products. For example, its wide range of motor oils for different vehicle models allows you to choose according to your vehicle requirements. In addition, Mobil contains a wide variety of lubricant products, including grease, oil filters, motor oils, transmission fluids, etc.
Two of its most effective products are given below.
- Mobil 1 Extended Performance: Mobil 1 is the industry-leading motor oil that provides high-performance engines and protects up to 20,000 miles under normal driving conditions.
- Mobil Super Motor Oil: Mobil Super motor oils consist of various motor oils with varying viscosity index. You may select according to your vehicle requirements. It is well-suited for modern gasoline-powered engines.
Moreover, Mobil motor oil products are API-certified. Also, Mobil 1 is my personal choice. I have been using it in my 1999 Toyota Tacoma, and since then, there has been no going back. I have never had a vehicle run this well with any other motor oil. I recommend this to anyone who likes a smooth-running engine.
This top motor oil brand provides high-quality products that enhance engine life. Its products are certified by industry standards. Also, Castrol motor oil prevents sludge buildup and saves you from facing issues like engine knocking. Its top-rated products are Castrol GTX oil and Castor Edge oils.
- Castrol GTX: Castrol GTX oil is a conventional oil that is well-suited for older engines and keeps them healthy and safe. Also, it protects spark plugs from premature fouling.
- Castrol Edge: Castrol Edge is Castrol’s strongest motor oil and is fully synthetic. It is well-suited for today’s powerful engines, maintains a thin, protective layer, and reduces friction.
4. Shell Engine Oil
Shell has been supplying top-quality motor oil products since 1907 and has helped its customers significantly reduce engine maintenance costs. Also, Shell engine oil can perform perfectly optimally in harsh climatic conditions, either low or high. Below are its top-rated products.
- Shell Rotella T6 Diesel Engine Oil: This engine oil is well-suited for heavy trucks or long-range diesel cars that need to drive for hours without stopping. Also, it has a higher pour point.
- Shell Helix Ultra: Shell Helix Ultra is designed for ultimate engine performance and is now carbon neutral. It provides higher levels of protection and cleansing to engines.
5. Royal Purpl
Royal Purple improves MPG by 10.7% in Test
Focuses highly on enhancing fuel economy, Royal Purple has a longer life that requires fewer oil changes. Also, it reduces friction and improves combustion efficiency. All Royal Purple’s motor oil products are licensed under API. Two of its top-performing products are given below.
- SAE 5W-30 High Performance Motor Oil: SAE 5W-30 is synthetic oil and provides better wear protection to your vehicle. It guarantees increased fuel economy and improved compatibility with ethanol-containing fuels.
- High Performance Motor Oil 5W-20: This is another best motor oil product by Royal Purple. It is a higher-grade premium synthetic product and runs smoothly between change intervals.
6. Liqui Moly
Liqui Moly is a German motor oil brand that consists of more than 4000 lubricants for cars all over the world. Its high-performance motor oils ensure reduced friction and smooth engine performance. Let’s have a look at its best products.
- Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30: This low-friction, high-tech motor oil protects against wear. Also, it reduces fuel consumption and enables fast oil penetration.
- Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40: This is fully synthetic motor oil and saves fuel. Premium 5W-40 is well-suited for extended oil change intervals and provides instant lubrication to vehicles.
7. Comma Oil
Comma Oil is one of the top-class manufacturers of premium quality synthetic engine oils. Its motor oil entails the latest manufacturer specifications, producing quality products for all engine types. Learn more about two of the best products of Comma Oil below.
- Comma XTech 5W-30: This engine oil is well-suited for Ford DuraTorq, DuraTec, and Zetect vehicles. Also, it is suitable for petrol and diesel engines, and multivated, fuel-injected, and turbo charged engines.
- Comma Voltech 0W30: Made with Volvo engines in mind, Voltech 0W30 is a fully synthetic engine oil delivering high performance to vehicles. Moreover, it provides enhanced fuel economy benefits, including those of the ACEA A5/B5 oil.
Petronas produces high-quality automotive and industrial lubricants. Its Syntium products protect your vehicle’s components and ensure maximized vehicle performance. All its products are best in class. Two of them are given below:
- Petronas Syntium 3000 E: Syntium 3000 E entails high-temp oxidation control and provides stability to the engine to help avoid breakdowns. Also, it helps withstand high-temp evaporation of lubricant to prevent engine failure.
- Petronas Syntium 7000E: This engine oil is well-suited for all types of passenger vehicles and helps improve the engine’s fuel economy. Moreover, it reduces engine deposits by reducing 20% of ash accumulation.
Pennzoil delivers high-quality motor oil that protects engine performance. This motor oil brand offers products to withstand severe conditions and keep engines running smoothly. Also, it helps extend engine life. Two of its best products include.
- Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30: This product provides exemplary performance in extreme heat and cold and improves fuel economy. Moreover, it gives better gas mileage and fewer emissions.
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40: Formulated to protect European vehicles, such as Fiat, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc., Platinum Euro 5W-40 provides wear and corrosion protection. Also, it is well suited for use in extreme climatic conditions.
Ravenol is a German manufacturer of lubricants and offers high-quality products that meet all the automotive industry requirements and specifications. Moreover, its products enable high reliability and extended engine life span. Its top-performing products are given below.
- Ravenol VMP 5W-30: This motor oil protects the engine and reduces oil consumption and pollutant emissions. Also, Ravenol VMP 5W-30 is suitable for extended oil change intervals.
- Ravenol Super Fuel Economy 5W-20: This fuel-saving motor oil reduces friction and protects the engine against wear. It is well-suited for turbo-gasoline engines.