Choosing the right battery brand is critical for your car’s operation since it is one of those components of the vehicle your car needs to operate effectively. A good-quality car battery is not only necessary for getting better performance but also for enhancing engine capacity. But what makes a battery better than the rest? This article explores exactly that.
Short on Time – Here’s a Quick Summary
Based on our research and international battery safety standards, we have listed the 10 best car battery brands you will regret missing – 1. Odyssey 2. Duracell 3. Century Yuasa 4. ACDelco 5. Bosch 6. Varta 7. Exide 8. Energizer 9. Optima 10. Powerline.
Things to Consider While Selecting a Car Battery
Choosing a high-quality battery is essential for a reliable and long-lasting ride. However, it gets challenging for automotive drivers to get the correct battery suitable to their vehicles’ needs. This section will guide you through selecting the right battery for your car.
Consider the following things while selecting a car battery.
The first thing to consider is your battery’s specifications according to your car’s requirements. You can find them in your owner’s manual. A battery should be according to your car and your driving needs.
- Size: The size of the battery according to your car make and model, as any battery that is too small or too big won’t fit in your car.
- Battery Age/ Life Expectancy: The car’s battery life defines how long a battery will work under regular operation. Don’t risk getting a low-quality battery that can’t guarantee life expectancy.
- Reserve Capacity: It indicates how long a battery can run a vehicle if the charging system fails. Batteries with higher reserve capacity can supply power for almost 2 hours.
- Cold-Cranking Amps (CCA): These indicate how well a battery can start an engine in cold weather.
- Warranty: Warranty can also be a deciding factor as it indicates the quality of a battery. A more extended warranty refers to better batteries.
You can purchase two types of batteries today according to your choice.
- Maintenance Free: These batteries have the advantage of worry-free operation since there is no need for electrolyte monitoring. Usually, these batteries come at a higher cost than others.
- Maintenance Required: These batteries are usually cheaper but require battery monitoring. You will have to check the electrolyte levels and maintain them.
Standards and Certifications
Different countries have regulations and mandatory certifications for car batteries that ensure the battery meets all the transportation safety requirements and standards set by the government and regulatory bodies. Some of these include.
- UL Certification: UL-certified batteries signify that they have been tested to meet nationally-recognized safety standards.
- IEC 60086: This international standard requires battery manufacturers to ensure battery function and safety.
- SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard has set a minimum set of criteria acceptable for lithium-based battery systems used in a vehicle.
- UN/DOT 38.3. It is testing that ensures the safety of lithium batteries during transportation. The transport of these batteries is subject to national and international regulations.
What are the Top Car Battery Brands?
High-quality and certified car batteries enhance your car’s performance and have the ability to support various car systems. In addition, regular battery maintenance and replacement ensure cost savings and enhance the car’s efficacy.
Battery inspection should be a part of your car maintenance, as being mindful of your maintenance ensures battery longevity and improved car performance.
Go through the following list to learn about the best battery brands and their different series.
Odyssey is one the best battery brands that produce a good range of battery series, including Performance Series, Extreme Series, and Pro Series. All Odyssey batteries are high-performance and provide enormous cranking power and deep cycle reserve power. Thanks to its sealed AGM design. Odyssey batteries never need to have any water or electrolyte. Its best batteries include.
- Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT: Best for extreme temperatures, Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT is highly temperature tolerant. It can even operate at temperatures ranging from -40°C to 45°C. As claimed by the company, this battery has double the power and triple the life of conventional batteries.
- Odyssey PC680: The Odyssey PC680 battery, red top, has a longer service life than other batteries ranging from 3 to 10 years. It has the highest recharge efficiency and is vibration resistant. Moreover, Odyssey PC680 is extremely temperature tolerant.
Regarding car batteries, Duracell delivers top-performance batteries that are reliable and durable. It has a variety of car batteries that provide excellent capacity performance and cold-cranking amps. Different series of Duracell batteries include Advanced, Starter, Extreme EFB, and Extreme AGM. Duracell batteries offer optimum power and are ideal for modern vehicles. Two of its best batteries are given below.
- Duracell Starter DS44: This Duracell battery is ideal for car owners looking for an optimal price and performance ratio. It uses modern full calcium technology and ensures leak protection.
- Duracell Advanced DA 70: This battery is well-suited for modern car demands and provides improved starting power. Additionally, it protects against backfire, providing optimized cold cranking values.
Yuasa is responsible for producing top-quality automotive batteries. Also, Yuasa car batteries are built with dependable starting power and provide the best performance to handle modern vehicle demands. Moreover, its batteries excel in reliability and long-lasting capabilities. Packed with the latest technology, Yuasa batteries are designed for stress-free power. Moreover, all batteries are NCC verified. Two of its best batteries include.
- Yuasa Silver 5000 Battery Range: This range of Yuasa batteries is suitable for car owners looking for high-performance batteries. Yuasa Silver 5000 range has a sealed, maintenance-free design with improved starting performance.
- Yuasa YBX9000: Best for large cars, Yuasa YBX9000 is filled with additional starting power required for more powerful vehicles. It can even provide up to 360,000 engine starts.
Known for high performance, ACDelco batteries are certified and meet all the required industry standards. Its battery can even withstand corrosive situations. Moreover, ACDelco batteries have large reservoirs that can hold a charge for several years. Below are two of its best batteries.
- ACDelco Gold B24R Battery: This battery features an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) design and is well-suited for hybrid vehicles that need optimal performance. Its valve-regulated gas recombinant technology can provide improved cycle life and durability.
- ACDelco GOLD (Professional) 42-Month Battery: This ACDelco battery is suitable for various applications, including cars and trucks. It is designed to protect against road vibrations that extend battery life. Also, it can deliver 42 months of maintenance-free performance.
Bosch is a brand that produces reliable and premium car batteries. It consists of different batteries, including S3 Value Performance, S4 Quality Performance, S5 Premium Power, and S6 High-Performance AGM. For older vehicles, S3 can prove to be the right choice. Its high-performance batteries include.
- Bosch S4 096: Bosch S4 096 is one of the most popular bosch batteries from the S4 series. As stated by the brand, this battery is two times more efficient in terms of performance than other standard car batteries.
- Bosch S5 A08: This battery is suitable for larger cars and perfectly combines power and performance. Moreover, it has a capacity of 70 Ah. The Bosch AGM technology ensures a longer service battery life.
Bosch is my go-to brand when it comes to car batteries. They offer high-performance car batteries and excellent customer service. I used the S5 Bosch battery in my BMW, and my car hasn’t skipped a beat, with no dimming lights or anything. So far, there has been no problem.
Varta produces many durable and reliable automotive batteries trusted by drivers globally. Its batteries are designed to improve thermal stability. Moreover, Varta batteries use EFB-enhanced technology that doesn’t require the deep-cycling present in an AGM battery. Its best batteries include.
- Varta Blue Dynamic C22: Designed for small and medium cars, Varta Blue Dynamic C22 meets all the OEM criteria. Moreover, it offers extra starting power and high performance for much longer.
- Varta D15 Silver Dynamic 027: Perfect for non-start-stop technology, Varta D15 offers superior starting power, meeting the toughest energy demands without compromise. It is well-suited for highly equipped cars.
Exide offers reliable car batteries with excellent spill-resistant characteristics. It is the go-to brand for most car owners due to its quality and reliability. Moreover, you can choose from a vast range of Exide batteries, including Exide Gold, EPIQ, Matrix, Express, and more. In addition, Exide offers reliable warranty protection for its batteries, which can be replaced easily in a rare situation of battery breakdown. Its best batteries include.
- Exide 096 AGM Battery: Exide 096 AGM is a powerful car battery that offers high performance and is backed by a three-year guarantee. Moreover, it is suitable for cars featuring a stop-start functionality.
- Exide EA612 Premium Battery: Exide EA612 is a high-quality battery with a cold cranking current of 600A. Moreover, it recharges up to 1.5 times faster.
Energizer is another best battery brands that provide reliable starting power and durability to fulfill your vehicle’s battery needs. A special safety lid in each Exide battery helps protect the battery and engine from sparks. As claimed by the manufacturer, Exide premium batteries can recharge twice as fast as conventional batteries, with extended withholding power. Two of its best battery variants are given below.
- Energizer Premium Max AGM: This battery entails a combination of high-quality and premium performance. It offers higher service life and reliability for SUVs and mid-range vehicles. Moreover, AGM technology fulfills the energy demands of start-stop vehicles.
- Energizer Plus: Energizer Plus is well-suited to the demands of mid-range vehicles and provides enough starting power to conventional cars. It uses stamped grid technology and is maintenance-free.
Optima batteries are AGM lead-acid batteries and are considered an excellent choice by many automotive drivers. The company makes three types of batteries – Red Top, Blue Top, and Yellow Top. Each of them is designed with a particular purpose in mind. Optima batteries are leak-free and tend to last longer than other batteries.
- Optima 35 RedTop: Optima RedTop comes in different sizes and is designed for all types of vehicles and weather conditions. Moreover, It delivers more enhanced starting power than other batteries.
- Optima BlueTop: Available in two versions, Optima BlueTop, fulfills different vehicle needs. Also, it is available in various sizes and is maintenance-free.
- Optima YellowTop: As claimed by the producer, Optima YellowTop is one of those batteries with dual-use capabilities. It is ideal for vehicles having complex electrical accessories and features.
DieHard manufactures batteries that meet modern vehicle demands and last longer. They use the latest technology to help improve the vehicle’s performance. Different DieHard battery variants include DieHard Red, Gold, Platinum, and DieHard Platinum AGM. Its best batteries include.
- DieHard Gold 640 CCA: This battery is designed to supply maximum power even in adverse climatic conditions. It will reliably work in both hot and cold weather.
- DieHard 38188 Advanced Gold AGM: This battery features a spill-proof design and is reliable for severe weather conditions. Moreover, it uses AGM technology for high power and performance.